Nurturing Fathers Program (NFP)
The Nurturing Fathers Program Impact:
- Increase collection by Office of Child Support Enforcement, reduce TANF & state expenditures.
- By assisting fathers become economically self-sufficient, the Nurturing Fathers Program will assist them to become a positive force in the economy such as paying rent, providing household needs, and paying taxes.
Results: Fathers increase commitment to financially supporting their children:
- The NFP will achieve what they do by representing a powerful coalition of comitment stakeholders who understand the family, healthy relationships, and community through provisions of supportive services & case management that prepares fathers to take increasing responsibility for self and children.
- Fathers who are in arrears with their child support or court litigation have their criminal prosecution deferred while they participate in the Nurturing Fathers Program.
- The concept would start with a needs assessment or clinical evaluation, and the development of an action plan by the father and a case manager to help become a more responsible father.
- Community Coalition partners provide priority services to the dad while he participates in the NFP courses that use a tested curriculum.
- Classes empower him with knowledge and skills to become the father his child needs.
- When the Father completes the action plan, the prosecution is recued or dismissed.
Strategic Step Plan:
- Recruit core group local stakeholders, including key court and child support enforcement personal, to visit an existing Nurturing Fathers Program. The national NFP organization can help with social media.
- Conduct focus groups in our community (mothers receiving TANF and noncustodial dads) to understand their needs and circumstances.
- Assemble the right people, organizations, infrastructure, and resources to get started.